Monday, February 21, 2011

a little too human.

Apparently my ability to read and follow directions has been impaired. I’ve been working on “need for tweed” for about a week now, making lovely progress, admiring and appreciating the perfect and defined stitches - an important moment for a newly converted continental knitter. 


Stuck in the middle of a horrific week academically, I pulled out my cowl to knit on and relax while I enjoyed the finally gorgeous weather from my stoop of a porch during my hour long break between classes. I was thrilled to be done with the first section and on to the second. I attached my Debbie Bliss Glen to my already knitted Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran section and dove into the greyish pink yarn with enthusiasm. I had my Cowlgirls in my lap, which I am rarely without by the way (it even comes to class with me), to admire the picture and future for my cowl while diligently following the directions, or so I thought anyway... 
But really my direction following at this point was okay, it was my direction following a week ago that was going to get me in trouble. A pattern set into the Glen - daydreaming Trish might read this as “one glass into my Glenlivet...” - and many deep gazes into the book’s photograph and it hits me. I used the WRONG yarn for the wrong sections in the cowl! The pattern calls for two skeins of Debbie Bliss Luxury Tweed and one skein of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino chunky - I am substituting Luxury Tweed for Glen. Now if only I had read the directions more carefully or even thought about it logically, I would have seen the cowl as a sandwich : Luxury Tweed - Cashmerino - Luxury Tweed. But no, of course not. I thought of it as: Cashmerino - Glen - Glen, what a dummy!

So here is my lovely “need for tweed”, halfway done and waiting to be ripped out, stitch by stitch. 

At least I had these beautiful Valentine’s roses from Sam to cheer me up! 

And a grow your own diamond ring from my friend Annie. 

The completed transformation. 
I had high hopes that this cowl would be ready to show off tonight, but it looks like I’m in for the long haul. I had plans of getting back on track this weekend when I had seemingly nothing to do, but instead chose to rip apart my apartment, move around ALL of the furniture, and attempt to put it back together again. Not so helpful for finishing my cowl, but it needed to be done, in a big way. More “need for tweed” updates to come this week!

4 comments: