Monday, February 14, 2011

i liked it and i put a ring on it.

So I have to start out by saying that I absolutely LOVE all of the wonderful comments y’all have been leaving me. I love opening up my email to a message in my inbox that reads, “Blank commented on Calling All Cowlgirls” it brightens my day. I enjoy your feedback and I am excited that there are other knitters as excited about this book as I am! It truly is amazing!!
But back to business. When I last left you I had just received my first shipment of yarn from my favorites - the Loops Troops. I received the yarn for the cowl next in line, “put a ring on it”. In my last post I noted that on the tag of the Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky Naturals read “fat, fast & fun”. And let me tell you, they ain’t lying! I was so excited about the yarn that I managed to finish the next cowl before I could even set aside enough time to write about the yarn I had been waiting for so anxiously. The cowl took me probably two days and I hardly had more than minutes to work on it at a time. 

Here is the cowl shortly after cast on! I know it is hard to really see the colors - I'm working on finding a better camera and a better photographer - bear with me here
This would be a wonderful cowl for a beginner knitter. It encompasses a lot of basic skills: knit, purl, knitting in the round, changing colors...and is knit on super bulky yarn! Also, because it is so quick to knit it brings an almost instant gratification, which is very important for new knitters. I learned to knit when I was probably eight and my first project was a garter stitch scarf knit with worsted weight on maybe a size 8 needle. This is much too time consuming for an early project, especially for a short attention-span child. I wasn’t able to finish it fast enough and it therefore led me to drop the knitting for a couple of years. And this was not the last time I would set my needles down a while. But anyways, this is a great beginner cowl, nothing tricky!

I just love this cowl and it is so fun and easy to wear.  It is an awesome way to add a little bit of excitement to your closet’s basics. I like to pair it with a plain white tee, jeans, and cardigan - perfect for class or errands around town. 

Wow! That's more like it! That's how the colors actually look...


The finished cowl took me 3 skeins of Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky Naturals in the MC and 1 skein of Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky Naturals in the CC.
Next in line is Cathy’s “need for tweed”. I think this one is super cute and I can’t wait to get started! Here is a preview of the yarn for this cowl - ALL Debbie Bliss! I love Debbie Bliss, that cashmerino is addicting. 


I am skipping “wrapture” for now because rumor has it that Loops found the PERFECT yarn for this when they were at market. It hasn’t arrived yet but I can guarantee that the yarn will be here within two days of it making its way to Tulsa! So stay tuned, there’s more excitement to come!

4 comments:

  1. OOOOHhhhh I Think this is my favorite so far! And the colors remind me of my fave ice cream "mint chocolate chip"! Love reading your adventure! :) And really this is my hubs Google ID i don't have one. My name is Anna. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that photo of the cowl on you definitely shows the color better...and makes me want to knit one, too, even though I don't usually like bulky yarns.

    And, glad to hear a little advice about kids and knitting. My daughter is bugging me to teach her, which is a nice kind of bugging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the green/brown, but I also like the oatmeal/brown from the first photo.. just sayin'... keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete